Hello friends and welcome back again to another idea of giving simple and easy gifts to friends and family.
There are a growing number of people who believe that its the effort and the thought behind giving a gift that counts the most. Hence people appreciate handmade or also homemade gifts more. (not that I would’nt be flying high if I received one of my favorite perfumes, or a camera or a car or a …. or a …….!! yeah I know you get the point !! Thats little ol’greedy me 🙂 ~ nothing wrong with a little bit of daydreaming ~ what say ??
Ok, lets come back from my dreamy world ~ truth is, I feel one large gift once a year or tiny pieces of gifts every now and then are both heart warming and thoughtful. My previous post Valentines Gift 1 and this post are not neccessarily about valentines gifts only, they are about gifts and the charm of making a simple homemade gift.
I have used a very easy idea here. Not only is it ecofriendly but for a cat owner, its a huge relief, knowing one buy is fullfilling two purposes ! Heres what I mean : ~ yes, you got it. A can. Turn a can into a gift container.
- Be it as an Easter basket or
- Baby shower favors, sweet baskets or tiny socks & mittens
- Return-gift container for birthday parties.
These are so simple to fit in anywhere for any uses.
Personally with two cats in the house, I have heaps of them and I use them alot.
- As containers for my craft embellishments to sort out the buttons, beads, crystals, pearls etc ,
- for my little lunch bag joke notes to the boys,
- to keep all my design paper “tiny” cut outs for “THAT” particular square or rectangular need that often pops up,
- to stuff the ketch up sachets that we get so often in our takeaway meals from Macdonalds and BK,
I have heaps stacked up for different uses and the above is not even scratching the surface of uses ! These here are, just to name a very few.
Ofcourse the most important thing is to wash these cans with a strong detergent to get rid of the smell ~ Since we are in the sunny Gulf, I also like to give any and all the projects, that I recycle, alot of natural sunlight. Helps.
There are a little over a thousand ways of decorating these little cans. I am sharing here a very simple one. I have used ModgePodge to cover the entire can with some design paper. Added a little lace ribbon around it to perk it up. Poked two holes with my punch and tied a paper/satin ribbon as a handle. A simple die cut tag with a message does the trick. What you wish to fill in them is your choice ofcourse, but If I prefer to place open jelly bellies or candies, I would line the inside of the can with a pretty dolly.
Ofcourse, you can add flowers and ribbons and bows and the works to decorate these cans, but because, I have 3 boys with 25 students in each class and generally, I would make for EVERY student, (I dont like the look on a childs face when the others are getting candy gift bags and he isnt ) I keep the decoration bit simple and not too fancy.
I do hope, some of my tips have inspired you enough, to get ahold of some cans and paint the town red !
Heres what all the fuss is about :
Here are some of the challenges and links, this can enters :
- Fireflies and Jellybeans
- Chic & Crafty~FrugalGirls
- Somewhat Simple
- Tales from Bloggeritaville
- A Crafty Soiree
- The Shabby Chic Cottage
- Beyond The Picket Fence
- Seven Thirty Three – A Creative Blog
- Tickled Pink
Suzy’s Artsy Craftsy
DIY Thrifty Thursdays
Catch A Glimpse
- Anything Goes Challenge – 2W- 1E – To The One I love Week1
- Craft Room Challenge – 2W – Must display shop logo to be in draw – Valentines Week1
- The Stamping Boutique 2W – #24 Die Cuts Week2
- Crafty Creations – #154 valnetine for kid+ anything but a card
- Creative Belli – 2W – #135 fancy frames (2nd wk)
- Decorate to Celebrate – 2W, must be party decoration – #17 Valentines Party
- Scrapbook Sisters – #68 Sweet Valentine
- Simon Says Stamp – anything goes
- Whimsical Wednesdays – love
- Aud Sentiments Challenge – 2W – (2nd week) Word “Love” (ends 31st Jan)
- Crafty Purple Frog – 2W, SIO – (1st week) Valentine’s Day/Show us some love (ends 9th Feb)
- Craft Us Crazy – 3E, 2W – (2nd week) Valentine/Love and/or Animals (ends 1st Feb
- Delightful Challenges – 1E, SIO – Valentine’s Anything But a Card
- Digi Doodle Shop’s Best – SIO – Anything Goes
- Do You Stack Up? – 3E – Inspiration Picture* Ribbon
- ATCs & Cards With Attitude – 2W – Week 2, Anything Goes
- Bloggers – JFF – Texture
- Fairy Fun Fridays – 2W, SIO – Week 1, Anything but a Card
- Forever Night Challenges – edgy & dark – Wicked Treats
- Inspire Me Fridays – Link Up Party
- Mami Doodles – 2W, SIO – Week 1, For a Loved One
- Poodles Parlour – 2W, 1E, SIO – Week 2, Valentine / Love
- Stampin With The Dragon – 2W, SIO – Week 2, Anything Goes
- Wags ‘n Whiskers – 2W, SIO – Week 2, Valentine / Love
House of Grace~ Twice Owned Tuesdays
Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Funky Polkadot Giraffe
Little Birdie Told Me
Pink Hippo Party
Reasons to Skip the Homework
DIY under $5~A Little Tipsy